Reverend Lester C. Smith had a vision from God to organize a Church. On Sunday, February 6, 1938, a group of Christian believers came together for their first Service in the Lecture Room of the Faith Tabernacle (Mutchmore Memorial)
On Wednesday, February 23, 1938, the Church was organized. Reverend S.G. Means, Pastor of Means Temple presided at the meeting; Mr. Harper of
The first election of Officers was held; Deacon Samuel Addison, Chairman, Board of Deacons; Brother Willie Robinson, Chairman, Finance Committee; Deacon James Brown, Church Treasurer; Sister Vivian Ruth Martin, Church Clerk; Sister Isabelle Addison, President, Deaconess Board; Sister Beatrice J. Glover, President, Senior Choir (which was organized at the home of Sister Emma R. Johnson, 1527 French Street); Deaconess Clara Louise Freely, Superintendent, Sunday School; Sister Vivian Ruth Martin, President, Young Adult’s Choir (later changed to the Celestial Choir); Sister Mary Boyd, President, Lester C. Smith Chorus; Sister Louise Singleton, President, Prayer Band; Sister Willie Mae Champ, President, Missionary Society; Sister Alice Orr, President, Usherette Board; Brother Obie Mobley, President, Male Ushers; Sister Pauline Cox, President, Who-So-Everwill Club and Sister Annie Lenear, Supervisor, Junior Ushers.
Members of the Boards were: Deacons: William Robinson, Felix Glenn, Allen Baker, William Freely, James Brown, Claude Baxter, Sr., Elliott Bright, Pink Childs and Mr. Landis. Deaconess: Annie L. Outterbridge, Sally Bright, Mamie Childs, Cora Baker, Nellie Robinson, Mable Davis, Mattie Henderson, Willie L. Smith and Clara Louise Freely.
During this time we purchased a residential property at
As Founders, we sought a place of Worship where we could continue our work for the Lord. Under the leadership of Pastor Smith, a location was found, a vacant garage at
At the end of 1938, God blessed our Church under Pastor Smith’s leadership to purchase an old dilapidated storehouse on the S.E. Corner of 17th and (1632 W) Poplar Streets. The men, women, children and friends of the Church labored faithfully and untiringly without gratuity. The only paid person was the carpenter, who supervised the renovation of the street floor. We removed tons and tons of debris from the building to make way for a place to Worship.